Earn 6.9% APY staking with Solana Compass
Help decentralize and secure the Solana network delegating your stake to us and earn an impressive 6.9% APY yield on your SOL, while supporting us to create new guides and tools. Learn more
Earn 6.9% APY staking with Solana Compass
Help decentralize and secure the Solana network delegating your stake to us and earn an impressive 6.9% APY yield on your SOL, while supporting us to create new guides and tools.
Breakpoint 2023: Introducing Solana to the World of Python
Breakpoint 2023 presentation introduces the integration of Solana with Python through the Seahorse framework, aiming to simplify blockchain development.
During the Breakpoint 2023 event, Anvit Mangal, a Developer Experience Engineer at Phantom, presented an innovative approach to blockchain development by introducing the Solana blockchain ecosystem to the world of Python programming. In his speech, Mangal outlined both the challenges traditionally faced by developers in Solana and the Seahorse framework's attempts to alleviate these difficulties. Mangal highlighted the synergy between Solana's robust feature set and Python's simplicity afforded through Seahorse, noting its features such as compile-time type safety and full interoperability with Rust code. Additionally, the launch of Seahorse University aims to facilitate a smoother learning curve for developers new to blockchain technology, with the ultimate goal of making Solana development more mainstream.
The Challenge of Solana Development
Mangal opened his talk by discussing the steep learning curve associated with Solana development. He pinpointed two major hurdles: the Solana-specific account model and Rust, the core programming language of Solana, which, while powerful, can be daunting due to its stringent memory management requirements. These barriers can deter new developers from entering the ecosystem.
Introduction of Seahorse Framework
In response to the challenges faced by developers, Mangal introduced the Seahorse framework, a project that bridges Python, a highly popular programming language known for its readability and ease of use, with Solana's blockchain technology. Seahorse acts as a 'translator' and enables developers to write Solana programs in a Python-esque manner. This initiative is part of a broader movement to make blockchain development more accessible and foster innovation within the community by simplifying complex processes.
Seahorse Features and Benefits
Seahorse boasts several features that make it attractive to developers. It ensures compile-time type safety, and it's fully interoperable with existing Rust code. Seahorse is compatible with Anchor, a popular Solana framework, and integrates seamlessly with Piles. The framework's primary advantage lies in enabling developers to concentrate on their business logic without getting bogged down in low-level programming details unique to Rust.
Seahorse University and the Vision for Solana
Lastly, Mangal announced the launch of Seahorse University, a dedicated platform for educating developers on the craft of Solana programming. The curriculum aims to empower developers with a basic understanding of Python to delve into the world of Solana development. The overarching ambition is to position Seahorse as a pivotal framework for Solana, akin to what TensorFlow and Keras have been for AI.
Facts + Figures
- Anvit Mangal is a Developer Experience Engineer at Phantom, previously worked at Amazon and Metaplex.
- Solana's challenges for developers include a unique account model and Rust programming intricacies.
- Seahorse acts as a translator between Python and Solana.
- The framework provides compile-time type safety and is interoperable with Rust and compatible with Anchor.
- Seahorse minimizes coding length, for instance, reducing a program from 200 lines in Anchor to just 70 lines.
- Seahorse encountered compatibility issues earlier this year but has since been rejuvenated.
- Seahorse University was established to enable developers to learn full-stack decentralized application building.
- The stated goal is for Seahorse to be as influential to Solana as TensorFlow and Keras are to AI.
- The Seahorse framework is endorsed and supported by the Solana Foundation.
- "Developing in Solana is not the easiest thing to do."
- "One feedback I constantly receive is that the learning curve when you just start with Solana is very steep."
- "Meet Seahorse. It acts as a translator allowing you to communicate with Solana in a comfortable dialect of Python."
- "Imagine the innovation that Seahorse could foster."
- "We are committed to a revival of this language, ensuring Seahorse not only returns but comes back stronger and more reliable."
- "The thesis behind this effort is that Seahorse becomes to Solana what iconic frameworks like TensorFlow and Keras were to AI in the last decade."
- "We onboarded our first non-Rust dev to Seahorse and it made it so much easier to become proficient."
What is the Seahorse framework in the context of Solana development?
Seahorse is a framework that simplifies Solana blockchain development by enabling programmers to write code in a dialect of Python. It transcends the traditional complexities associated with Rust, the underlying programming language of Solana, making blockchain development more accessible to a wider audience. The goal is to lower the barrier to entry for developers and speed up the learning process.
How does Seahorse help new developers with the Solana learning curve?
Seahorse mitigates the steep learning curve of Solana by offering a familiar programming environment rooted in Python. This lowers the technological barriers to entry, empowering developers with varying degrees of experience to create on the Solana blockchain without deeply engaging with the intricacies of Rust from the outset.
What advantages does Seahorse offer over traditional Solana development methods?
Seahorse offers compile-time type safety, interoperability with Rust, compatibility with Anchor, and integration with Piles, significantly cutting down on coding complexity and line count. This helps developers focus on their core business logic instead of wrestling with the lower-level programming challenges, thus fostering innovation and streamlining the development process.
What is Seahorse University, and why was it created?
Seahorse University is an educational initiative designed to teach developers the basics of Solana blockchain programming through the lens of the Seahorse framework. It was created to make Solana and blockchain technology more accessible to a broad spectrum of developers, particularly those already proficient in Python, facilitating the growth of the Solana ecosystem.
How does the Solana community perceive the value of Seahorse?
The Solana community, including developers and project founders, perceives Seahorse as a significant advancement that facilitates the onboarding of developers not previously familiar with Rust. Testimonials indicate that the framework makes it easier for developers to gain proficiency and understand the Solana runtime, highlighting Seahorse's potential to expand and diversify the developer base working on Solana projects.
- Key Points:
- Facts + Figures
- Top quotes
- What is the Seahorse framework in the context of Solana development?
- How does Seahorse help new developers with the Solana learning curve?
- What advantages does Seahorse offer over traditional Solana development methods?
- What is Seahorse University, and why was it created?
- How does the Solana community perceive the value of Seahorse?