Earn 7.0% APY staking with Solana Compass
Help decentralize and secure the Solana network delegating your stake to us and earn an impressive 7.0% APY yield on your SOL, while supporting us to create new guides and tools. Learn more
Earn 7.0% APY staking with Solana Compass
Help decentralize and secure the Solana network delegating your stake to us and earn an impressive 7.0% APY yield on your SOL, while supporting us to create new guides and tools.
Breakpoint 2023: Solana Mobile: Evolving the Tech Stack
At Breakpoint 2023, Solana Mobile introduced updates to its tech stack, enhancing mobile blockchain interactions.
Marco Martinez, a software engineer at Solana Mobile, showcased recent advancements in Solana's mobile tech stack at Breakpoint 2023. Emphasizing the critical role of mobile in web interaction today, Martinez introduced the Mobile Wallet Adapter 2.0 and discussed new iOS capabilities. The presentation highlighted Solana's commitment to streamlining mobile experiences for both developers and users in the blockchain space, as well as extending support beyond the Solana blockchain, thus steering the future of Web3 on mobile platforms.
Mobile Wallet Adapter 2.0 (MWA 2.0)
Mobile Wallet Adapter 2.0 is an update aimed at connecting decentralized applications (dapps) with wallets on Android devices. The update was based on user feedback and aligns with Web Wallet standards to foster a consistent experience between web and mobile interactions. Notably, it removes Solana-specific protocol elements to facilitate potential future adoption by other blockchain ecosystems. Additionally, it introduces feature extensions, enabling rapid innovation without waiting for new protocol versions. The update also includes a feature for signing in with Solana, streamlining the process where a dapp connects to a wallet and the user confirms ownership.
Support for iOS Development
Solana Mobile recognizes the importance of iOS in the mobile market and has tackled iOS-specific challenges such as app sandboxing and rigid App Store policies. They proposed the use of Safari extensions as a viable solution to enable secure, self-custodial web-based experiences for iOS users. In a live demo, they demonstrated a seamless integration within Safari, where users could connect their wallet and authorize transactions without leaving the browser, leveraging native iOS APIs for security.
Developer Resources and Community Support
To facilitate development, a wealth of resources is available, including documentation, example apps, testing tools, and community SDKs for platforms like Android, React Native, Flutter, Unity, Unreal Engine, and Kotlin. Solana Mobile’s aim is to guide developers from initial setup to full app development, with proactive community engagement on platforms like Discord for support and collaboration.
Facts + Figures
- Solana has introduced Mobile Wallet Adapter 2.0 with feature extensions and support for signing in with Solana.
- They have also streamlined integration with web standards to remove blockchain-specific elements from the protocol.
- The Safari Web Extension Converter by Apple can convert Chrome extensions to Safari, easing iOS wallet development.
- Solana Mobile released open-source demo tools to assist developers in adopting new features and complying with mobile wallet adapter standards.
- Sol Flare has become the first wallet to support MWA 2.0.
- Community SDKs have been made available by Espresso Systems and other community contributors for popular development frameworks.
- Solana’s commitment to mobile development is highlighted by the newly demonstrated features and developer resources.
- "We hope this update will support the future of Web3 on mobile and continue to drive mobile experiences forward."
- "We've also removed Solana-specific parts of our protocol with the hope of enabling this protocol to be used on other chains in the future."
- "Signing with Solana combines these two operations into a single flow for users."
- "iOS as an operating system presents a few challenges for native Dapps."
- "We can enable self-custody on iOS with all existing web dapps today."
- "The best place to get started is going to be our documentation site, docs.solanamobile.com."
What is Mobile Wallet Adapter 2.0 and why is it significant?
Mobile Wallet Adapter 2.0 is an important update to Solana's mobile tech stack that improves the interaction between dapps and wallets on Android devices. It is significant as it broadens the scope of mobile blockchain interactions, enabling feature extensions and simplifying the user experience for signing with Solana. This aligns mobile interaction more closely with web standards and lays the groundwork for interoperability with other blockchains.
How does the Solana mobile update cater to iOS users?
The update introduces a solution for iOS users that leverages Safari extensions, allowing interactions with dapps directly within the Safari browser. It significantly enhances the user experience by eliminating the need to switch between apps and streamlining the signing process, while ensuring secure communication leveraging native iOS APIs.
Why is the crossing over to mobile important for blockchain and Web3?
Mobile devices are the most common way individuals access the internet today. By focusing on mobile, Solana is acknowledging and addressing the need to create seamless and secure blockchain interactions on mobile. They aim to cater to the vast mobile user base and drive forward the future of Web3 on handheld devices. This move also ensures that broader adoption of blockchain technology doesn't overlook mobile experiences, which are critical to mass market penetration.
Can developers outside of the Solana ecosystem use the new mobile wallet adapter?
Yes, developers from other blockchain ecosystems can utilize the Mobile Wallet Adapter due to the removal of Solana-specific elements in the updated protocol. This update makes it more accessible and opens up potential for diverse blockchain integration, demonstrating Solana's commitment to openness and collaborative development in the blockchain community.
What resources are available for developers looking to build mobile apps on Solana?
Solana mobile has provided extensive resources for developers including documentation, example apps, and testing tools for Android, React Native, and other popular frameworks. Community SDKs are also available to support mobile development, complemented by active engagement on community platforms like Discord. These resources are designed to assist developers from the beginning stages of app development to testing and final deployment.
- Key Points:
- Facts + Figures
- Top quotes
- What is Mobile Wallet Adapter 2.0 and why is it significant?
- How does the Solana mobile update cater to iOS users?
- Why is the crossing over to mobile important for blockchain and Web3?
- Can developers outside of the Solana ecosystem use the new mobile wallet adapter?
- What resources are available for developers looking to build mobile apps on Solana?