Earn 6.9% APY staking with Solana Compass
Help decentralize and secure the Solana network delegating your stake to us and earn an impressive 6.9% APY yield on your SOL, while supporting us to create new guides and tools. Learn more
Earn 6.9% APY staking with Solana Compass
Help decentralize and secure the Solana network delegating your stake to us and earn an impressive 6.9% APY yield on your SOL, while supporting us to create new guides and tools.
Breakpoint 2023: Introducing Ryder One: Hardware Wallets Made Simple
Ryder One revolutionizes the hardware wallet experience, offering simplicity, security, and social recovery features.
Breakpoint 2023 heralded the launch of Ryder One, a new hardware wallet designed to uncomplicate the process of securing digital assets while reinforcing the key ideals of Web3 – permissionlessness, decentralization, and sovereignty. Demonstrating a user-centric design, Ryder One simplifies the user experience with seamless setup, NFC-enabled transactions, and robust security measures including tap-safe recovery functionality. Highlighting the importance of this innovation, the speakers – Louise Ivan, CEO, and Marvin Janssen, CTO of Ryder – articulate the development process and the vision for a resilient, inclusive future for managing digital assets.
Ryder One Wallet Introduction
Ryder One represents a significant stride toward making the utilization of digital assets straightforward and secure for an everyday user. With the announcement of Ryder One, Ryder's aim is to disrupt the often intimidating and complex landscape of Web3 transactions. The wallet addresses common pain points such as the cumbersome management of seed phrases, which have led to substantial losses in the crypto space. Featuring a simple physical design with NFC technology for ease of use, the hardware provides a promised solution to the perceived barriers to widespread adoption of hardware wallets. It embodies Ryder's vision of intertwining productivity with digital assets, expanding their use beyond mere storage to everyday transactions and social interactions.
One of the groundbreaking features of Ryder One is the TapSafe Recovery system, a seed phraseless recovery mechanism that leverages NFC technology for easy setup and recovery. The unique use of Shamir's Secret Sharing algorithm allows splitting a master private key into multiple secure shares, providing several layers of flexible and secure backup options. This includes a recovery tag, use of personal devices, and incorporating one's social circle into the recovery process while assuring no single point of contact compromises wallet security. The recovery process promises to be robust, with a goal of being open-source and third-party audited, ensuring longevity and integrity of access to one's assets.
Security and Technical Features
Ryder One's security model is built with dual-core architecture, consisting of a main MCU and a secure element chip which stores sensitive information and powers the TapSafe recovery protocol. The secure element chip, an advanced Infinium SLE78, is a core component assuring the highest security standards, being resistant to various attacks. Ryder also has developed their own operating system, Ryder OS, for the secure element chip, reinforcing their commitment to providing a robustly secure and reliable platform for managing digital assets. Additionally, built-in security indicators such as the red blinking LEDs protect against potential discrepancies in firmware or transactions.
Facts + Figures
- Ryder One is designed to make securing digital assets simple, fulfilling three criteria: no single point of failure, low mental effort, and maximum ease of transaction.
- It features NFC technology for seamless interactions, including purchases and real-world asset swaps.
- Introduces TapSafe Recovery, a seed phraseless and self-custodial backup solution which uses NFC and Shamir’s Secret Sharing algorithm.
- Ryder One is priced at $249 retail, with a $90 discount available for the initial 48-hour launch period on Kickstarter.
- The Ryder One device and its recovery system currently undergo audits, ensuring security and system integrity.
- It's IP68 rated, making it resistant to dust and water.
- The wallet features a red light alert system for security discrepancies and a capacitive button directly connected to the secure element for transaction confirmations.
- Ryder announces partnerships with third-party vendors to ensure the continuity and broad application of the Ryder One ecosystem.
- Louis Ivan and Marvin Janssen conveyed the technicalities of Ryder One, emphasizing its importance to the future of decentralized finance.
- "These are the ideals that we believe in, that our team believes in, and it's probably the reason why you're here today."
- "$3.5 billion is the staggering amount of what's lost due to seed phrases."
- "Our CTO & Co-Founder went into crypto in 2013."
- "It's important to mention that TapSafe Recovery is completely self-custodial."
- "Even if Ryder the company doesn't exist... you can still rest easier knowing that you can recover your wallet."
- "The security of the Ryder One wallet is audited by CoinFabric."
- "Imagine the worst-case scenario... If you have utilized your social circle... you can still recover."
- "Ryder One is actually the first step towards a multi-year long vision of bringing your digital asset in the real world."
- "Ryder One is currently available on Kickstarter."
- "Are you ready to become a Ryder?"
What is Ryder One?
Ryder One is a new hardware wallet aiming to simplify and secure digital asset transactions. It combines ease of use with advanced security measures, including a physical design leveraging NFC technology for convenient interactions.
How does Ryder One ensure security?
Ryder One secures digital assets through a combination of a main MCU, a secure element chip, and a unique security protocol, called TapSafe Recovery. It employs a weighted Shamir Secret Sharing algorithm to split the master private key into multiple shares, which can be safely stored across various devices and among trusted individuals.
What are the advantages of TapSafe Recovery?
TapSafe Recovery eliminates the need for seed phrases, using NFC technology for quick wallet setup and recovery. It's self-custodial and offline, ensuring users have full control over backup creation and asset security. TapSafe Recovery is also flexible, accommodating different security needs and including optional social recovery features.
How much does Ryder One cost, and where can it be purchased?
Ryder One retails for $249, with a $90 discount offered during the initial 48-hour period following the launch. It is available for purchase on Kickstarter.
What does the IP68 rating on Ryder One signify?
The IP68 rating certifies that Ryder One is resistant to both dust and water, signifying its durability and reliability in various environmental conditions.
- Key Points:
- Facts + Figures
- Top quotes
- Questions Answered